Sunday, December 2, 2012

I Love Brussels Sprouts, Thai Style


I love brussels sprouts. I love them so much that I can eat them plain, roasted with salt and pepper, blanched, and even on pizzas! This winter we are in the Canary Islands, and it has been difficult finding them. I spoke to the vegetable vendor at the market, and asked him to call me when he did find them. Three (long) weeks later my phone rings, my brussels sprouts had arrived! 

Half the batch was roasted, a little olive oil, salt and pepper, at 400F for 30–35 minutes. Don't forget to shake the pan from time to time to evenly brown the sprouts. Roast until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. 

The second half of the treasured brussels sprouts was made in this Thai style inspired sauce. (Please note, the vegetable vendor has already been called and asked to get me more brussels sprouts soon!)

Ingredients
2 cups brussels sprouts, cut in half
2 tbsp + 1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
2 red chillies, sliced (or more if you like the heat)
1/4 cup chicken broth

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 400F
  2. On a baking tray, toss brussels sprouts with 2 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 30–35 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside
  3. While sprouts roasts, in a small sauce pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil on medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. 
  4. Add sauces, chili, and chicken broth. Boil until liquid is reduced by half.
  5. Toss roasted brussels sprouts with as much sauce as required. Reserve remaining sauce to add to a stir-fry, rice, or more brussels sprouts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment